The Oberkommando West is the second Axis faction featured in Company of Heroes 2. It is paired with the Wehrmacht Ostheer against the allies. Similar to their Wehrmacht brothers, their force relies on a well-trained army with a mix of versatile and specialized units. Their tanks are generally considered superior to the Allied tanks, but they are fewer in numbers and often more expensive.
The Oberkommando faction is intended to represent Germany's military situation near the end of the Second World War. As a faction, they have access to cutting-edge military innovations, such as STG 44 Infrared scopes and the Jagdtiger heavy tank destroyer as well as some older, early war technologies such as the MG34 and the Walking Stuka rocket half-track. However, as a result of the worsening German economy, they cannot build caches on territory points and rely on salvaging wrecked vehicles and abandoned weapons to supplement their fuel income and with the right doctrine, munitions. Unlike the Ostheer Wehrmacht, the Oberkommando forces are aggressive and harassment oriented as their early forces are strong enough to rush territory points but generally have difficulty holding them. Some units, such as Obersoldaten, can booby-trap territory points to punish capturing enemy infantry with an explosive charge. Deployed units and vehicles must be carefully preserved, as the Oberkommando generally have difficulties collecting the resources (except manpower) to replace destroyed vehicles or squads with the same efficiency as other factions. This emphasis on unit preservation is also reflected in the Oberkommando's experience system: unlike the other faction units, which can only gain a total of three experience ranks, all Oberkommando units can achieve a total of five experience ranks.
The Oberkommando West is generally strong early-game with aggressive infantry but becomes arguably weaker mid-game with below-average early AT, but regains power late-game with advanced tanks.
OKW Buildings, Units and VehiclesEdit
Command Headquarters Edit
The Command Headquarters serves as the OKW's main building for the recruitment and construction of infantry, gun teams and other essential OKW units. It can produce the following units:
- Sturmpioneer Squad: Sturmpioneers are a 4-man unit who serve as assault infantry and engineers. Armed with STG-44s, this unit is extremely effective at close range. They have the ability to build reinforced barbed wire and Schu-mines. Upgrades allow the unit to gain either a Panzerschreck rocket launcher or a minesweeper and wire cutters used to remove battlefield obstacles.
- Volksgrenadiers: Volksgrenadiers are the basic combat infantry of the OKW. They are strong at long range, but vulnerable to light vehicles due to their lack of an AT snare in the early game but can later on use Panzerfausts to cripple vehicles. Can be upgraded with STG-44's at the cost of munitions. They can also throw incendiary grenades that explode upon impact, setting fire to an area. In terms of skill, they are superior to Conscripts and Ostruppen but weaker than US Riflemen, Wehrmacht Grenadiers, and British Infantry Sections.
- Küblewagen: The Kübelwagen is a very light scout vehicle with very low health and very weak armour and is armed with an MG34 Machinegun. Unlike most other vehicles, the Kübelwagen has the innate ability to capture territories just like infantry, even though it's not a transport unit. Capturing points is its speciality as the process is 15% faster than normal. Generally not very good in sustained combat against most units, the Kübelwagen is primarily used for scouting and raiding undefended territory points and potentially cutting supply lines. Like other vehicles, they can bust through barbed wire that would normally stop infantry.
- Raketenwefer 43 Anti-Tank Rocket Launcher: Needs text.
- MG34 Heavy Machinegun team: The MG34 Heavy Machine Gun Team is the OKW's mobile fire support to provide suppressive fire against enemy infantry. While generally weaker than other heavy machineguns, the MG34 is cheaper to deploy and still enjoys a large arc of fire. It works well with other infantry, particularly Sturmpioneers; the MG34 suppresses enemy infantry and the Sturmpioneers move in and put the enemy troops down with their MP44 assault rifles.
- Tiger B 'Köningstiger': The Tiger B Königstiger, Tiger II, or King Tiger is the premier combat vehicle for the Oberkommando West in Company of Heroes 2. The Tiger B Königstiger boasts incredible armour (the front armour is only slightly weaker than the Elefant, but the rear and sides are stronger), an excellent gun, and a large hitpoints pool, allowing it to soak up large amounts of damage while dealing out the same. Unlike most other heavy tanks, the King Tiger is not a doctrine-specific unit; it can only be called in if all other OKW Headquarters trucks have already been set up (all three must have been set up at some point: destruction of any of those structures will not prevent you from calling the tank in). It is mutually exclusive to the Jagdtiger (cannot call in both on the field), but not the Sturmtiger.
- sWS Supply Halftrack: Needs text.
Battlegroup Headquarters Edit
The Battlegroup Headquarters serves as the OKW's main building for the recruitment and construction of gun teams and vehicles needed to dislodge enemy positions. It can produce the following units:
- 7.5cm le.IG 18 Infantry Support Gun: Le.IG 18 or Leichtes InfanterieGeschutz 18 is a light infantry gun featured in CoH 2 Oberkommando West, it acts like a howitzer, and it's cheap and mobile. The gun even has a barrage ability that when toggled, the gun rapidly shoots a few rounds in the designated area. It is very useful against infantry, can make a pretty good job if it is close to the enemy base and well defended by infantry and/or Flak emplacements. The barrage ability cost nothing and cools down in 20 to 10 seconds. The range is short, and it's most effective against light armoured vehicles, infantry, and static structures.
- Sdkfz 251/20 Half-track w/Infrared Searchlight: Needs Text.
- Sdkfz 251/17 Flak Half-track: The Sdkfz 251/17 flak half-track is armed with a Flak cannon effective against infantry, aircraft, and light vehicles and can cause suppression, but needs to be stationary to fire and takes a couple seconds to set up. It is a lightly armoured vehicle and can be destroyed quickly by anti-tank weapons, but enjoys the ability to create a smoke cloud to block line of sight, allowing it a better chance to reposition.
Mechanized Regiment HQ Edit
The Mechanized Regiment HQ
Schwerer Panzer HQ Edit
The Schwerer Panzer HQ
Doctrinal Units Edit
Doctrinal units are units that are called in from off map locations. Usually, these units are extremely effective at what they were designed to do. These will be units from the eastern and western fronts, large artillery guns and command units. They are the following units:
- Special Operations Doctrine:
- Luftwaffe Ground Forces Doctrine:
- Breakthrough Doctrine:
- Elite Armour Doctrine:
- Scavenge Doctrine:
- Firestorm Doctrine:
- Overwatch Doctrine: